Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Poetic Projects & The Flaming Lips

I had a bag I could fill with books for my trip to Texas. I decided to bring books I’ve read and re-read, and keep coming back to, as well as a couple new books I’m not done with yet.

I brought
The Library of America edition of Wallace Stevens’s collected work
Louise in Love, by Mary Jo Bang
The Worldly Country, John Ashbery
The Oval Hour, by Kathleen Peirce
Notes for Echo Lake, by Michael Palmer
Littlefoot, Charles Wright

These books are keeping me busy thinking about “projects.” The difference between a project in the Mary Jo Bang, Louise, sense, and a project in the Wallace Stevens sense. Both types of projects are very interesting to me, in their obsessive investigations.

In other news, I got a tattoo. Yes. And I like it very much, even if it has nothing to do with poetry. Take me swimming, and you'll see it.

As well, I just picked up tickets for The Faming Lips show in Kansas City in September. I’ve followed their work for nearly 20 years, and this will be my first Lips live show . . .

5 Comments:

At 7/17/2007 5:22 PM, Blogger Talia Reed said...

So you did it huh? Well what is it of?

 
At 7/18/2007 7:28 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Hard to say, it's not really of anything. It's a swirly thing in something of a circle. Roughly Celtic, I suppose, but not those very popular braided things.

I like it!

 
At 7/19/2007 1:15 PM, Blogger Louise Mathias said...

what's the best place to start w/ Michael Palmer. I've been meaning to read something for a while but don't know which to try.

 
At 7/20/2007 12:32 PM, Blogger David Dodd Lee said...

Notes for Echo Lake, by Michael Palmer. Start there.

 
At 7/20/2007 3:19 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Louise,

I agree with David. After that, or instead of that, I'd get the selected, it has a healthy selection from Notes for Echo Lake, but also from Sun (which is also Palmer at his top form) and others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home