Friday, December 05, 2008

Neil Young, Gluck, and Jensen

OK, so it’s hard sometimes, being a Neil Young fan, but I persevere. Case in point, the Neil Young Archives Vol. 1, that I first read about right around 1988. It was first scheduled to come out, I think, around 1992? Something like that. Well, now it’s gone from 2007 to 2008 to 2009. This, just up on the Rolling Stone website:

So the box set has been pushed back to next year?
Yeah.

Why?
We had some technical problems with it in the end, and the amount of time that we had to work it out was not enough. I wanted it to have a mode where you didn’t have to watch it, where you could just listen to it, and there’d be like a screen saver thing up there. As simple as that seems, that was one of the areas where we were not complete. But it’s a huge job, and there’s a lot of stuff.

Is it going to be just BluRay, or BlueRay and DVD?
It’s gonna be BluRay, DVD, CD. It’ll be on iTunes. It’ll be everything. But it’s not coming out until the BluRay comes out, because the BluRay is the cutting edge. The BluRay is the best quality, and that’s where it’s gonna start. We don’t want to put out the lesser stuff first and then everybody go, “Well I know what this is. We’re not gonna get the BluRay.” We’re gonna force feed them the BluRay.

So you think early next year for it?
I think so. I thought it was gonna be late this year, but it didn’t work out. It’s old, so it doesn’t really matter when it comes out.



* * *



Gar. Enough of that. I can’t imagine how long I’m going to have to wait for the CDs, as I am certainly NOT going to buy this monster as a BluRay. Music is not a movie. So, back to poems I love. Some of these I've been posting, I’ve posted on this blog before, but since blogs are ephemeral things, and the space is free, why not post them again?



Louise Glück
Telescope


There is a moment after you move your eye away
when you forget where you are
because you’ve been living, it seems,
somewhere else, in the silence of the night sky.

You’ve stopped being here in the world.
You’re in a different place,
a place where human life has no meaning.

You’re not a creature in a body.
You exist as the stars exist,
participating in their stillness, their immensity.

Then you’re in the world again.
At night, on a cold hill,
taking the telescope apart.

You realize afterward
not that the image is false
but the relation is false.

You see how far away
each thing is from every other thing.


* * *


Laura Jensen
The Red Dog


You know that he is going to die
as soon as I tell you
he is standing beside me
his hair in spikes and dripping
from his body. He turns his head.
Canadian geese
all of them floating along the shore.
The red dog is swimming for them
only his head shows now
they flap into a curve and move
farther along the bay.
You know that he is going to die
this is the time for it
while there is a way to vanish
while the geese are moving off
to be their hard sounds
as their bodies leave the water.

4 Comments:

At 12/05/2008 9:21 AM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

I don't own a Blu-Ray player . . . do you? (I am, however, coveting a PS3 which doubles as a BD player and a gaming console but will not buy it because I'll never write again if I owned one).

Just think, if you shelled out the money for the boxed set, you'll never have to buy another NY album again. :D

I love Laura Jensen, by the way. Local rumors have her appearing and reappearing at some Seattle area readings. THE BAD BOATS is one of my fave books.

 
At 12/05/2008 10:15 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Ah, don't get me started on the BluRay thing. I think, personally, it's DOA. But, the Ps3... THAT would be a good way to interact with the Archives, IF they were something I wanted to sit in front of my PS3 (if I had one) and interact with. I don't know what Neil Young could possibly be thinking. As if we all wanted some sort of NY museum piece in our living rooms. It's NOT portable, and it doesn't look like it would be transferable to my car or portable media player. Totally, totally useless to the way I interact with music, it is.

I'll, therefore, wait for the CDs, for they will certainly come. Like Neil Young says, "It's old, so it doesn't really matter when it comes out..."

(Except that I've waited for 20 years. That hurts.)

Grrr, even.

Jensen! Bad Boats is a wonderful book! Agreed once again.

 
At 12/06/2008 7:21 PM, Blogger Anne Haines said...

There's an interview with Nils Lofgren (which, full disclosure, I actually transcribed -- just because it was a cool interview & I wanted it to get a little wider distribution) in which he sounds pretty frustrated about the whole "waiting forever for this stuff to come out" situation too. It's kind of funny to hear him gnashing his teeth (or as close to such as Nils ever gets...) over not being able to listen to stuff he actually played on.

http://www.kweevak.com/files-articles/rd_art_2008_09_02_nils_lofgren.php for the interview; there's a link on that page for the mp3 of it too.

 
At 12/07/2008 4:49 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Anne,

That's hilarious. Yeah. Neil Young makes it hard on those around him, over the years.

But, on the other hand, they got to play with Neil Young...

I would really like to hear someday, the real Tonight's the Night album. And that other one, Homegrown, I think it was called.

Word Verification: havis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home