Tuesday, August 29, 2006



Richard Hamilton

Just What Is It That Makes Today's Home So Different, So Appealing?

1956, Collage (Kunsthalle Museum, Tübingen, Germany)

I've been thinking a lot about this image lately, and what it might (or could) mean for the writing of poetry. Pop Art, working in the visual, had/has an advantage over those working with language, of course, but even so, what might the poem produced from this imagination space look like?

Does Pop Art (here I'm thinking of more than just the collage aspects) bring us to the work of John Ashbery? That would be the easy assumption. And perhaps the correct one. But Ashbery uses so much connective tissue in his work, and Pop Art, by and large, doesn't, I'm beginning to think it's not a direct relationship. Ashbery mentioned once in an interview that he was influenced heavily by Surrealism . . .

1 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I had a fun conversation with Jonah Winter once about flarf . . . and I suppose some of the 80s New York Graffiti Pop Art stuff might resemble it in method?

I'm not familiar enough with flarf, though, to comment. What I've seen seems more disposable than most Pop Art. Perhaps definitions like Pop Art and Flarf are too broad to be usable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home