Friday, December 15, 2006

Joshua Marie Wilkinson / Kelly Link / MLA

To Do List: MLA

So, who is going to MLA, and what interesting events are going on? Are there some poetry readings?

I will be there Thursday and Friday.

(For those of you keeping count, here are this year's stats: 401 posts matching MLA Philadelphia are out there in the blog world this morning.)

Bookshelf:

One of the books from 2006 that I keep going back to is Joshua Marie Wilkinson's Lug Your Careless Body Out of the Careful Dusk, winner of the 2005 Iowa Poetry Prize.

There's a good interview of Wilkinson at dislocate magazine.

Here's a tiny snippet:

Q: Are there any "words of wisdom" that linger in your head when you're writing? Any advice that has stayed with you?

A: I like Davis McCombs's response from Charles Wright. I never studied with Charles Wright, but I like the idea of writing not from a place of knowing, but from a place of un-knowing..."I'm Nobody! Who are you?"

---------

Also, Wilkinson mentions Kelly Link, which is always good.

1 Comments:

At 12/15/2006 6:44 PM, Blogger marybid said...

MLA...they still have that? Wow. I've been missing out for so many years now.

All that not-going-to-panels, and the lurid panopticon of hotel lobbies, waiting for interviews. I must say that I don't miss it.

If you see my friend Sharon there, tell her I said hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home