Friday, January 26, 2007

Catty Wampus / Samba / & Neil Young




Ah, the real me, here I am hanging onto the podium, "Catty Wampus" to the side of my head. Could life get any better?

Yes, it could:

Taken from http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/26040
and From Uncut http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/neil_young/news/9279

Neil Young's live album tracklisting revealed
'Live At Massey Hall' includes DVD

Neil Young's has unveiled the tracklisting for his forthcoming livealbum 'Live At Massey Hall'.

The album, released on March 12, was recorded in Toronto in 1971 and features a DVD which features footage of the show minus three tracks.

Young said: "This is the album that should have come out between 'After The Gold Rush' and 'Harvest'. David Briggs, my producer, was adamant that this should be therecord, but I was very excited about the takes we got on 'Harvest' andwanted 'Harvest' out. David disagreed. As I listen to this today, I can see why."

The tracklisting for the album is:

On The Way Home
Tell Me Why
Old Man
Journey Through The Past
Helpless
Love In Mind
A Man Needs A Maid/ Heart of Gold Suite
Cowgirl In The Sand
Don't Let It Bring You Down
There's A World
Bad Fog Of Loneliness
The Needle and the Damage Done
Ohio
See the Sky About to Rain
Down By The River
Dance Dance Dance
I Am A Child

On his fall release, Archives Vol I, there will be, reportedly, 38 unreleased tracks:

The anticipated release date of 'Archives, Volume 1' is September this year. The collection will feature eight discs, including "Live At the Filmore" (released last November) and the above mentioned "Live At Massey Hall".

Thirty-eight previously unreleased songs will feature on Archives, billed as a 'musical autobiography' of Neil Young. Tantalisingly, the eight CDs only cover the period from 1964 to 1971, suggesting it is only the beginning of a vast release campaign.

Allan Jones, Editor of Uncut says "This is incredible news for Neil Young fans, like myself, who seem to have been waiting the best part of our adult lives for the release of this archive material. Neil has been talking about it for years. When I interviewed him in 1989, he told me it was coming together and to expect it soon. Which is also what he told me when I interviewed him in 1993. It looks finally like it's s happening at last, though, incrediblly enough. On the evidence of the Live at The Filmore CD, it should be mind-blowing stuff."

6 Comments:

At 1/26/2007 7:28 AM, Blogger Andrew Shields said...

I downloaded a version of that show (I think it's the same one) from Glide Magazine a year or two ago, and it's a great show. Very exciting news!

Is it hard to make arrangements with yourself?

 
At 1/26/2007 7:45 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Depending on if you're old enough to repay and/or young enough to sell.

Yeah, that's the show. But, as weith the Fillmore Crazy Horse show, it might have been widely circulated, but this one is going to sound much better.

 
At 1/26/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

I love, absolutely love Neil Young. In fact, I have an unrealized novel based upon the sequential musical selections from his Decade release. The story materialzed completely when I was 17 (20 years ago.) Unfortunately I am not a good writer when it comes to prose. Meaning both that my prose is often flat and uninspiring, AND my habits make for a poor novelist.

I am certainly going to get that 8 cd set.

 
At 1/26/2007 10:15 AM, Blogger Paul said...

I'll believe Archives when I see it, as he's been talking about them for, what, 15 years? Still, this is probably the real thing. Love Neil, through and through. After the Gold Rush, Ragged Glory, Everybody Knows... hard to top.

 
At 1/26/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Hey Paul--

I first heard of The Archives in 1989. I've been waiting for them for such a long time now.

They even had a release date at one point, so I understand your hesitation . . . but I can feel it really happening this time.

Even if the first two releases in the performance series are just improvements on bootlegs I've had for years.

And even so, I'll not get what I really want to hear, Homegrown (and "Give Me Strength" etc.) for a long time, as it's supposed to be on Archives Volume II.

 
At 1/26/2007 12:30 PM, Blogger marybid said...

Love Neil Young, and also love clinging to the podium like it's an ark in a flood.

You have pretty neat handwriting. I think I need to take a picture of my blackboard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home