Monday, December 24, 2007

Overlooked Albums of '07

Seeing all the lists around of best albums of 07, many with some very good albums mentioned, as this has been a good year for music, has made me want to add a few, that I wish were being mentioned more often. I think Neil Young's Chrome Dreams is very good, no surprise there, but others are noticing that as well. And Lucinda Williams, and Wilco, and all that, but here are three that I think should be on those lists:


Son Volt - The Search (the full 22-song version is really, really good. I don't know why people aren't more interested in it. If you search around [Amazon or itunes], you can also find some excellent live Son Volt tunes [which have better versions of "The Search" and "Highways & Cigarettes" than the album does] for pretty cheap. Stand out tracks: "Circadian Rhythm," "Methamphetamine," "Exurbia")

The Waterboys - Book of Lightning (you can get it as an mp3 album from Amazon for around $8.00, and it's also really, really good. Stand out tracks: "Everybody Takes a Tumble," "Strange Arrangement," "She Tried to Hold Me")

Ian Hunter - Shrunken Heads (everyone seems to have forgotten this one! And it even got some press when it came out... Stand out tracks: "When the World was Round," "Words [Big Mouth]")

Just my 2 cents from warm Austin, Texas.

3 Comments:

At 12/24/2007 10:25 AM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

Hey John,


Good picks for "sleepers." I liked Paste's top 50. An interesting and eclectic mix. More and more I'm finding I'm too snobby for Rollingstone's musical tastes, but I suppose as a popular mag, they've got to appeal to the Brittany generation.

 
At 12/24/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Oliver,

I'm finding myself somewhere else these days when it comes to taste. Radiohead, sure, OK, and Fiest, why not, but really Wilco, though I like them, weren't as good as the crtics are saying. There's this rush to cool that Paste let's itself off on, I think.

But then again, I'm a product of messy electric guitars and obscure lyrics . . .

hah!

 
At 1/01/2008 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,

I'm interested in inviting you to submit to the journal CAV but am having a helluva time finding an email address on you.

Recently purchased "The Little Book of Guesses" and love it.

Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home