Tuesday, February 17, 2009

So what are you reading now?


AWP is over. Long live AWP.

I managed to pick up a few things (Not, by the way, the Gioia. I was enjoying how much I still dislike it all these years later and thought I should share [above]).

Self-Portrait with Crayon, Allison Benis White
The Book of Props, Wayne Miller
Chronic, D.A. Powell
Versed, Rae Armantrout
12X12: conversations in 21st-Century Poetry and Poetics, Mengert & Wilkinson
Lyric Postmodernisms, Reginald Shepherd
Glass Grapes, Martha Ronk
Intervening Absence, Carrie Olivia Adams
The Whole Marie, Barbara Maloutas
Trust, Liz Waldner
The Temple Gate Called Beautiful, David Kirby
THE MS OF MY KIN, Janet Holmes
Lip, Kathy Fagan
Elephants & Butterflies, Alan Michael Parker
Broken World, Joseph Lease
And So, Joel Brouwer
The Currency, Paul Otremba
Rising, Farrah Field
After Dayton, C.S. Carrier
The All-Purpose Magical Tent, Lytton Smith
Torched Verse Ends, Steven D. Schroeder

I’m starting with Self-Portrait with Crayon. I’m a little way in so far and really liking it a lot.

It’s been suggested to me by a friend that I need to check out Michael Dickman's The End of the West. What else am I missing?



13 Comments:

At 2/17/2009 4:22 PM, Blogger Frank (the Colt) said...

That's passion for poetry, I think.

 
At 2/17/2009 7:05 PM, Blogger jose said...

What do you think of the Gioia essay on Weldon Kees? If anything, I was glad to be introduced to Kees.

 
At 2/17/2009 7:34 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Allison Benis White is a friend and I've been waiting a long time for her book to come out. I love her work. I'm so glad you got a copy!

If you haven't read the new Jane Mead yet, I really like it. A lot.

 
At 2/18/2009 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

digging the photo...!

 
At 2/18/2009 2:59 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Jose:

Yeah, when he sticks to talking about poets (especially poets from the early 20th century), I've no problem. It's when his imagination gets large about "poetry" that I think his ideas get small.

 
At 2/18/2009 9:43 AM, Blogger Brent Goodman said...

hugh behm-steinberg's Shy Green Fields (2008 No Tell Books). It's the surprise quasar I found in my pile when I got home.

 
At 2/18/2009 1:49 PM, Blogger David Dodd Lee said...

Noelle Kocot's new book

 
At 2/19/2009 11:25 AM, Blogger JeFF Stumpo said...

Just got back last night - hence lateness of response.

Am working through Jericho Brown's Please, Jeffrey McDaniels The Endarkenment, and of course your Map. Those from AWP - can only spend so much :-) Recently purchased Alice Notley's In the Pines, Darcie Dennigan's Corinna A-Maying the Apocalypse, and Shira Erlichman's Advertisement for a Human Being and am re-reading all.

Verification word: quidye, noun, ink that costs one British Pound

 
At 2/19/2009 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving Catherine Bowman's two most recent- Notarikon and the Plath Cabinet- Fourway is doing some good stuff these days ;)

 
At 2/19/2009 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm liking Matthew Dickman's All American Poem.

wv: fasta

 
At 2/25/2009 8:45 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I'm adding these for myself mostly, so I can keepo track of all the books I'm ordering.


Full Catastrophe Living (Iowa Poetry Prize)
by Zach Savich (Author)


Skirmish: Poems
by Dobby Gibson (Author)


Tracer
by Richard Greenfield (Author)


Sunny Wednesday
by Noelle Kocot (Author)

 
At 2/25/2009 8:53 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Multiversal
Amy Catanzano

 
At 7/06/2011 9:04 AM, Anonymous research paper service said...

You know since the late 1980s especially, prose poetry has gained increasing popularity, with entire journals devoted solely to that genre

 

Post a Comment

<< Home