Sunday, January 02, 2011

Evening Will Come

C.D. Wright has the first essay up on the brand new Evening Will Come, an online, monthly journal of poetics founded in November 2010 by Joshua Marie Wilkinson. 

*      *

I know the adjective can be a nuisance, and the adverb clumsy. I’m a touch sick of the poetic inflation around prepositions. I would prefer that conjunctions were less visibly functional. Articles can clutter. The verb works the hardest. It should be the best paid. And I know the fifteenth letter O is the best word of all: O my black frying pan. O my fallen arches. O my degenerating fibroids. O what’s the point. O little man at the foot of my bed, please don’t steal my pillow.


*      *     

http://www.eveningwillcome.com/

Poets are attending to the future.

There, they will build something for the past, receding indefinitely, for you.

4 Comments:

At 1/02/2011 10:28 AM, Blogger Robert Mc said...

Thanks for linking to this. If JMW is involved, I am immediately a fan. (Not that C.D. Wright is small potatoes.)

 
At 1/05/2011 11:35 AM, Blogger Kent Johnson said...

There's a good article on Wright, by Dan Chiasson, in the New Yorker this week.

 
At 1/05/2011 6:17 PM, Blogger Fuzz Against Junk said...

I liked that essay because it didn't feel like an essay, more like something by Stein.

 
At 1/05/2011 6:22 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Yeah. She has a personal relationship with sentences. I'm looking forward to what Evening Will Come does next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home