Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Few January (Mostly) Music Releases

Albert Goldbarth's new collection out this month, Everyday People, has a perfect cover. I'm looking forward to it.

I’m pretty sure with the way my life is going so far (very busy; very, very busy), I’ll most likely not stay on top of new music releases as well as I was in 2011. [Final tally: 2011 – 272 hours of music on my windows media player]


Be that as it may, there are a few upcoming (late January) releases that I’m interested in checking out:

Damien Jurado – Maraqopa: He’s going for a fuller band this time around, it seems, from the only song from it I’ve heard so far. The drawback, on this song at least, is that the vocals sound buried to me, and vocals have been his strength in the past. We’ll see.

Dr. Dog – I’ve missed the title on this one. I could look it up, but that would take effort. Sounds, so far, pretty much in line with their previous work.

Kathleen Edwards – Voyageur: Another fine, well-crafted album to add to her list of fine, well-crafted albums. I like it. And there’s Bon Iver in the background, which is nice. She has a light touch, even on her more aggressive songs. It makes her work both refreshing and easy to miss.

Lana Del Rey – Born to Die: I don’t know what to make of Lana Del Rey. She said (I’m paraphrasing) that she wants to be the Nancy Sinatra of the Hip Hop generation, and that’s kind of what she sounds like. There are moments of something quite interesting (“Video Games”), interspersed with moments of easy melodrama (“Baby we were born to die!”).

Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas: His first record since the uneven Dear Heather in the early 2000s (2003? 05? I forget). I’ve heard two songs so far, and they’re both right down the middle Leonard Cohen. The band sounds a bit more like it’s real people this time around, and the background singers are a little less overbearing. I’m crossing my fingers.

Sharon Van Etten – Tramp: Neither of the two songs I’ve heard from this so far can live up to Epic, her first release, so I’m crossing my fingers.



I’m a sucker for time-lapse photography. What can I say.

2 Comments:

At 1/15/2012 11:43 PM, Blogger Rob said...

The new Damien Jurado doesn't come out til Feb. 21st. Really looking forward to it! Nothing Is The News is very creepy, in a good way.

 
At 1/16/2012 6:40 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Oh, you're right. I had it down as Jan 21. That's the song I've heard as well, and you're right, the way the vocals are pushed back in the mix adds to the creepy feeling of it. It works for this song, but I'm just hoping that it's not going to be the production direction they take on the whole album.

I've already gotten over the Lana Del Rey, by the way. But maybe when the album actually comes out, I'll get interested again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home