Sunday, July 22, 2012

Ozymandias


Ozymandias
By Percy Bysshe Shelley
 

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

5 Comments:

At 7/22/2012 6:52 PM, Blogger Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

.

AND THUS IN NINEVEH
by Ezra Pound


“Aye! I am a poet and upon my tomb
Shall maidens scatter rose leaves
And men myrtles, ere the night
Slays day with her dark sword.
Lo! this thing is not mine
Nor thine to hinder,
For the custom is full old,
And here in Nineveh have I beheld
Many a singer pass and take his place
In those dim halls where no man troubleth
His sleep or song.
And many a one hath sung his songs
More craftily, more subtle-souled than I;
And many a one now doth surpass
My wave-worn beauty with his wind of flowers,
Yet am I the poet, and upon my tomb
Shall all men scatter rose leaves
Ere the night slays light
With her blue sword.

'It is not, Raana, that my song rings highest
Or more sweet in tone than any, but that I
Am here a poet, that doth drink of life
As lesser men drink wine.”


.

 
At 7/23/2012 9:58 AM, Blogger Thomas Brady said...

Pound---(gag)! What a silly, affected, boorish piece of hooey.

The Shelley says it all.

 
At 7/24/2012 11:04 AM, Blogger underbelly said...

"Lo! this thing is not mine"

I think you meant to type "LOL! this thing is not mine"

 
At 7/24/2012 4:03 PM, Blogger Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

underbelly said:

" 'Lo! this thing is not mine’

I think you meant to type: LOL! this thing is not mine"

Ha! Good one, Paul! That’s funny.

But you shouldn’t take the situation too lightly. It isn’t easy getting kicked off a poetry blog, you know. It takes a lot of hard work.

Harrrr

 
At 7/25/2012 3:25 PM, Blogger underbelly said...

I'm willing to put in the overtime, Gary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home