Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year - Gillian Welsh & Oliver de la Paz

This, by Gillian Welsh is available from her website, signed, for $45.00. It seems a proper way to welcome 2008, doesn't it?

Here's another, by Oliver de la Paz, from Furious Lullaby:


Penitence Essay


A blue flame arrows
its way through the globe of my eye.

Perhaps I was "pain" or had a broken knuckle,
a bloodied nose on the playground.
I've begged for it, but
I'll beg longer. I've been there.

I've seen winter childhoods
on the merry-go-round.
The holy light from the school,
jagged as the steam from the heat exhaust
quivers like tacky sentences
slivered between teeth.

It's cold. I beg you. It's cold.

4 Comments:

At 1/02/2008 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Call me a fuddy-duddy (or an editor), but it should be "lie" down and die. Just saying.

 
At 1/02/2008 2:29 PM, Blogger Reginald Shepherd said...

Hey handsome John,

I agree with Diane. Is it really so hard to use "lie" (present tense or nominative case) and "lay" (past tense or objective case) correctly? I would think that being a writer is about taking care with one's words, which after all are also everyone else's.

Take good care, and stay warm.

peace, poetry, and proper grammar,

Reginald

 
At 1/03/2008 6:18 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Dear Fuddy-duddys and editors,

Which is why singers (Gillian Welsh & David Rawlings, in this case) should always consult writers before writing.

And "lie" and "die" sound so much better together anyway.

 
At 1/03/2008 2:17 PM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

;-) Thanks for the love, John.

I can now lie down and die.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home