Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Let's Play Telephone

TELEPHONE #1



http://www.telephonejournal.org/about_us.html


This was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever been a part of. I’m ecstatic about how it turned out. Five poems from the German poet Uljana Wolf, each translated as many as twelve times, and no two alike (as, at least in my case, I really only know one German word: Schadenfreude. It’s very useful.). It’s not only good reading, it’s also a journey into language. It’s a rabbit hole that’s well worth falling into.

If you're in the area:

Friday • 7:30pm - 9:30pm
Triple Canopy
177 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY
http://canopycanopycanopy.com/


I'll be phoning it in. 



best




bad

bet / t



briefly


by Uljana Wolf
translated by Mary Jo Bang


we start with soon and end with soon a second time; meanwhile, our hair at best cannot be held, not in nor of itself, nor can it be grasped in the hand of good or bad. instead in the morning on the way up the mountain (nehmen sie eine wette an) and at night aus bett heraus (see adv. for in what way) you can reasonably hold it as you would a hedgehog caught and conquered, similarly that single long strand found in a letter you can for a moment and with impunity press it against your cheek.

1 Comments:

At 9/15/2010 6:59 PM, Blogger Fuzz Against Junk said...

Very cool concept for a journal. At first I thought it was a reference to the old Telephone books journal run by Maureen Owen (of which I'm lucky enough to own a few copies of that she gifted to me herself). I would love to make it out to the event, but I'm afraid I won't be out of work until around 9:30. Any chane of it running late? I live in Brooklyn, about three stops away from the event on the G train.

Anyway, I'll throw it up on my list of local readings and add Telephone to my blogroll. Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home