Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Henri Cole - Blackbird and Wolf



Henri Cole, to whom I'm very grateful these days, has a new book coming out in a month or so, titled Blackbird and Wolf . . .

My Weed



On the path to the water, I found an ugly weed

growing between rocks. The wind was stroking it,

saying, "My weed, my weed." Its solid,

hairy body rose up, with big silver leaves

that rubbed off on me, like sex. At first,

I thought it was a lamb's ear, but it wasn't.

I'm not a member of the ugly school,

but I circled around it and looked a lot,

which is to say, I was just being, and it seemed to me--

in a higher sense--to represent the sanity of living.

It was twilight. Planets were gathering.

"Mr. Weed," I said, "I'm competitive,

I'm afraid, I'm isolated, I'm bright.

Can you tell me how to survive?"

2 Comments:

At 2/06/2007 5:59 AM, Blogger C. Dale said...

Hmmmmph!

 
At 2/06/2007 9:33 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I meant it as a peace offering, I promise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home