Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pilot Poetry 2


http://www.pilotpoetry.com/magazine.html


Pilot #2 features poems from Julie Doxsee, Noah Falck, John Gallaher, Heather Green, Anne Heide, Nathan Hoks, Noelle Kocot, Sueyeun Juliette Lee, Clay Matthews, Jennifer Tolo Pierce, Nate Pritts, Brandon Shimoda, and Justin Taylor; collaborative work from Mathias Svalina & Julia Cohen, Matt Hart, and the Typing Explosion; translations of Paul Dermee by Kim Lohse; an interview with Sierra K. Nelson; as well as a number of chapbook reviews.


Bookshelf:


Charles Wright, Littlefoot.

It's simply a wonderful long poem. Just beautiful. I really can't say enough about how much Charles Wright has meant to me. I bought Country Music: Selected Early Poems back in 1986, and I've been on board ever since.

Littlefoot is a book-length poem meditating on what Wright's been meditating on for some time: memory, language, and their continuing presence. I'm adoring it.

6 Comments:

At 6/20/2007 5:07 AM, Blogger Talia Reed said...

I enjoyed your two poems and I "am better now."

 
At 6/20/2007 5:41 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Thank you for browsing over, and, well, that's always been a hard one for me to be better about, myself . . .

 
At 6/22/2007 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, you don't know me, but I follow your blog when I have time and I just wanted to say that I too have been following Charles Wright for years. He's my all-time favorite poet. I really think the man is a genius. I've ordered Littlefoot and can't wait until it arrives.

Susan

 
At 6/23/2007 4:35 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Susan, the thing about Ch. Wright for me is his continuous engagement, how his poems keep going to the well, so to speak. For some that gets boring, or repetitive, but I've loved going with him to the well for over 20 years now.

 
At 6/23/2007 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, yes, I feel exactly the same way about Wright. I've always been amazed at how he can return again and again to the well and, while the water changes, the well, the container, never does. He has been able to maintain those long, weighted lines and still be fresh every time. I think of my own work, which seems to be constantly changing, and I'm envious of his ability to essentially write one long poem over a lifetime. Do you think he's always known that this is how he would write or do you think he just kept going this way because it never bored him? This kind of consistency is awesome to me. I get bored with my own repetition, but I've never gotten bored with his. I guess that's the difference between genius and me! :-) I really loved hearing him at AWP with Terrance Hayes. What a dynamite combo they were! Did you hear them?

 
At 6/23/2007 2:29 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I was there as well. It was a good reading . . . those new, short (six lines I think he said?) poems of Wright's were great.

Hayes was very good as well. I saw a book of his several years back (2001 maybe?) that didn't strike me, but the poems he read at AWP were mostly excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home