Thursday, January 03, 2008

Uh Oh - AWP 2008 (We don't need no stinkin' badges!)

Um, will someone please explain the email I just got from AWP? I am more than a little worried. It seems I might have a table at AWP, but not be able to actually sit at it . . .

----------

From AWP:

NYC CONFERENCE REGISTRATION SOLD OUT

We're sorry, but due to overwhelming interest in AWP's 2008 Conference & Bookfair, we will not be selling registration passes on-site in New York. No more passes will be sold. More than 7,000 individuals are registered for our 2008 Conference & Bookfair, making it our largest gathering ever. Security will monitor the Bookfair and Conference events, and only pre-registered individuals possessing a registration badge will be admitted into Conference events and the Bookfair. Thank you for your support.

----------

So am I going to AWP or not? Are the students who are supposed to be manning the Laurel Review table going or not? We have flights and hotel rooms. But, um, not registration badges.

This might be a bit of a problem.

I suppose we can sit in the lobby and wave?

7 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend calling AWP. Given that the table is already purchased, and you've secured flights, you will probably be able to work something out. If you purchased a table, flight, and hotel, why did you wait so long to register?

 
At 1/04/2008 5:47 PM, Blogger RL said...

Anon, what are you, his mother?

I've been going to this conference for almost a decade and always registered onsite. There was no heads up that this wasn't going to be an option this year. It's expensive to shell out all that money for airfare, hotel and registration at once -- at if you discover last minute you can't attend, AWP doesn't refund the money.

AWP hit a new level of disorganization and ineptitude.

 
At 1/04/2008 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reb, what are you, his lover?

Disorganization only counts for attendees who can't plan for conferences that have been in the works for over a year; last time I checked AWP didn’t demand everything be paid for at once. Ineptitude? . . . well that's just intellectually lazy. AWP does what it can, and does more than most.

 
At 1/05/2008 9:40 AM, Blogger RL said...

Yes, AWP does many things seemingly because it can.

Now get off my boyfriend, I got off yours.

Respectfully,
Reb

 
At 1/05/2008 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reb is right-- not only a new level of ineptitude, but a new level of lame: making ass-lick, mfa-ambitious interns stumble around "anonymous"ly in comment boxes trying to clean up their mess. Yikes.

 
At 1/05/2008 9:55 PM, Blogger Steven D. Schroeder said...

Yes, it's the fault of people who have always registered onsite that AWP without warning chose to eliminate that option less than a month in advance of their conference.

John, please do let me know what this does to your plans, as obviously it affects my plans too. I hope a workable solution is available. :-)

 
At 1/06/2008 4:14 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Steven, I've been registered since I reserved the table, so I'm fine. It's the students who were scraping the money to go work at the table with me who were on mind. But I got it worked out. So it's all good.

I think.

I'm not sure about the boyfriend, though. Ahem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home