Saturday, November 08, 2008

The State of Critical Thinking in America 2.0 (and a new song by Neil Young)


Things are really bad out there. Here’s a brief recap:

My father, who shall remain nameless, said to me on the telephone that things were going to get bad in America soon, and I agreed. I mentioned the recession. He said, no, and then asked me if I really understood what was happening in Germany in the late 20s and early 30s, to bring Hitler to power. What? He’s really thinking our current crisis and the election of Barack Obama mirror Adolph Hitler’s rise to power. And he’s completely serious. And he’s not alone.

I decided to go to fox news dot com to see what kind of play this sort of thing is getting, and I found all sorts of things on their comment streams. Oh my. Let me just say: oh my.

Apparently Barack Obama has already been renamed Barack Obummer. That’s the least of it. There are people out there actually binge buying weapons because they think there will, very soon, be severe new gun laws. There are those who think he’s coming as the new messiah, the antichrist. There is talk about the end times.

I won’t post any of it here, but if you’re interested you can google it. I hope you're surprised by what you find.

All I can say is that, apparently, the Barbara West interview with Joe Biden I posted October 27th where she accuses Barack Obama of being a Marxist has some conspiracy theory competition.

And don’t get me started on the whole New World Order thing. When you google “Barack Obama” & “New World Order” you get 857,000 hits. I'm very creeped out.



So here’s a new song from Neil Young to cheer you up: Just Singing a Song Won’t Change the World

4 Comments:

At 11/10/2008 7:31 AM, Blogger M. C. Allan (Carrie, to most) said...

This stuff scares me, too. I heard the American Nazi Party wasn't opposing him strongly because they genuinely believe his election will lead to "the coming race war." There are a lot of crazy, crazy mofos out there. Of course, they think WE'RE crazy, but the difference is that crazy liberals don't buy guns; they buy organic vegetables or alpacas and start farming somewhere.

 
At 11/10/2008 1:44 PM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

I'm totally freaked out by that--further, I live rather close to a Minutemen encampment, so I'm feeling a little threatened.

However, as I came upon your blog post, I was, in fact, listening to DECADE on my iPod.

Neil Young, save us.

 
At 11/12/2008 11:55 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Oliver:

And today is Neil Young's birthday, so happy 63!

Word Verification: muled

 
At 8/18/2009 2:57 PM, Anonymous Thomma Lyn said...

Thank you for being a voice of sanity on an increasingly crazy internet. It never ceases to amaze me what frightened people will believe with absolutely not a shred of evidence... so many people going down various kookholes.

Though I know that history is cyclical and that in past cycles of history this sort of thing happens during difficult times (frightened people seizing onto belief in wild, illogical and unfalsifiable conspiracy theories, etc.), it doesn't seem to me that it's ever happened on quite such a huge scale before. And it seems that more people are more credulous and short on critical thinking skills than ever. Makes me very, very sad and deeply concerned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home