Wednesday, September 09, 2009

More Swedes!

After reading Robert Archambeau’s piece in The Boston Review on these Swedish poets:

A Time in Xanadu
Lars Gustafsson, translated by John Irons
Copper Canyon Press, $16 (paper)

A Different Practice
Fredrik Nyberg, translated by Jennifer Hayashida
Ugly Duckling Presse, $14 (paper)

I’ve gotten really interested in Swedish poetry. Of course, not enough to actually read any of it yet, but interested enough to know I want to. So here’s a question for anyone who might be in the know: Can someone please direct me to some more recent Swedish poets (besides the above, and, of course, Tomas Tranströmer)? I want to put together a little (or big) “to buy” list, just in case some money I’ve applied for comes through.

Much obliged.

7 Comments:

At 9/09/2009 4:16 PM, Blogger Ross Brighton said...

Aase Berg. Johannes Goransson's translations are amazing.

 
At 9/10/2009 12:25 AM, Blogger Carol Berg said...

Typo.com had an issue on contemporary Swedish poetry--issue #7, I think.

 
At 9/10/2009 8:16 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Excellent! Thanks to you both.

 
At 9/10/2009 12:56 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Seconding Johannes's AB, especially the orange one Black Ocean did, With Deer.

You wouldn't think someone named Vasilis Papageorgiou is a Swedish poet, but he is -- a Greek-Swedish poet.

 
At 9/10/2009 2:55 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I've had a great time today reading the TYPO things. I'm looking forward to getting a lot of books soon.

Something to take my mind off the Heath Insurance Informational Meeting I went to this afternoon.

 
At 9/14/2009 5:27 PM, Blogger Johannes said...

I also just had a book called Collobert Orbital by Johan Jönson published by Displaced Press. I've been meaning to write a more extensive response to Archambeau's article, so perhaps I'll do that this week, giving a more detailed idea of what's going on there.

Johannes

 
At 9/15/2009 3:15 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Johannes,

I'm looking forward to that response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home