Thursday, October 08, 2009

Bernadette Mayer - Poetry State Forest

This poem was up on Poetry Daily a few days ago, and I keep going back to it. So I thought I’d put it up here. Now I can keep going back to it even more easily. I just ordered the book. I’m looking forward.


All Aboard


Tumbled down an incline at Bash Bish
Broke many things; it was still spring

Clouded over, it was too rainy to walk annually
At Bartholomew's Cobble; a coneflower appeared

As did a lupin, even some alyssum
Be forewarned: the eternal perennial

Is not immortal, though rooted in the ground
& coming back, it might disappear

In a wild fire, tornado or apocalypse
Or move over in a spring flood

Or earthquake; you move over & you'll see
The same thing you saw yesterday, maybe

It's the welcome wagon, here's
A cherry pie; the cherries are eternal



Bernadette Mayer
from Poetry State Forest
New Directions, 2009

3 Comments:

At 10/08/2009 3:15 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

So weird--Bash Bish and Bartholomew's Cobble are just down the road from here. Strange to come upon them in words, not in person

 
At 10/08/2009 6:02 PM, Blogger David Dodd Lee said...

It's a really great book--seriously. You've been warned.

 
At 10/08/2009 6:18 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I'm looking forward to it. I've ordered SO many books this month. $1,000 worth so far. And more to come.

Seriously. It's quite fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home