Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Fall Bookshelf 2011

So anyway, every few years Santa appears with a big bag of books. Such is the case this fall. So I’ve opened said bag.
 
Here, then, is most of what I’m going to be reading this fall. Some brand new things and some holes I wanted to fill. Keeping a decent poetry bookshelf is difficult these days. Down economy, and all that.

I’ve already read some of the first four on this list. It’s making me think this is certainly a good year for poetry. More on them soon.

Book of the Given. Rusty Morrison

A Broken Thing: Poets on the Line. Ed Emily Rosko and Anton Vander Zee

The City, Our City. Wayne Miller

The Other Poems. Paul Legault

House Inspections. Carsten René Nielsen (trans David Keplinger)

Our List of Solutions. Carrie Oeding

Adonis: Selected Poems (The Margellos World Republic of Letters). Adonis

Unfortunately, It Was Paradise: Selected Poems. Mahmoud Darwish

Core Samples from the World. Forrest Gander

Seven Controlled Vocabularies and Obituary 2004. The Joy of Cooking: [AIRPORT NOVEL MUSICAL POEM PAINTING FILM PHOTO HALLUCINATION LANDSCAPE]. Tan Lin

Objects for a Fog Death. Julie Doxsee

The Art of Recklessness: Poetry as Assertive Force and Contradiction. Dean Young

Threshold Songs. Peter Gizzi

The Cow. Ariana Reines

Undanceable. Merrill Gilfillan

The Difficult Farm. Heather Christle

The Trees The Trees. Heather Christle

Entrance to a colonial pageant in which we all begin to intricate. Johannes Goransson

American Music. Chris Martin

Styrofoam. Evelyn Reilly

My New Job. Catherine Wagner

Dead Ahead. Ben Doller

English Fragments A Brief History of the Soul. Martin Corless-Smith

Yingelishi. Jonathan Stalling

9 Comments:

At 9/06/2011 3:23 PM, Blogger Delia Psyche said...

I want to read--if I have time--more Michael Gizzi. How sad that nothing more will be coming from him. And more Frederick Seidel; I don't know him well enough yet.

Good titles: Styrofoam, Objects for a Fog Death.

I've always had trouble with titles. Many times I've thought the solution is to start with titles, like Ashbery. I can think of some good poemless titles: Sober Boat, Slo-Mo Air-Chair Wipe-Out, Brujo's Bazaar, When Cheesequake Was a Mooncrater and You Were the Main Drag...Anyone have some title advice? what do you think of poems called "Poem"?

 
At 9/06/2011 3:32 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Well, I'm not much help directly, in the abstract. I usually say things like "Title it what it wants to be called."

So there you go.

 
At 9/06/2011 3:35 PM, Blogger Delia Psyche said...

Thanks. That helps.

 
At 9/06/2011 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was using "I Double-Dog Dare You Adolf Hitler, Knock This Battery Off My Shoulder" as a working title before abandoning it. I'll let it go for cheap. Anyone?

Paul

(Maybe this is the answer. Like when people do a clothing swap.)

 
At 9/07/2011 2:48 AM, Blogger Delia Psyche said...

"I Double-Dog Dare You Adolf Hitler, Knock This Battery Off My Shoulder": effin brilliant.

I'll take it, but I'll amend it to "I Double-Dog Dare You, Hit-and-Run Vehicle, Knock This Jogger Off My Shoulder." The speaker would be a street.

 
At 9/07/2011 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. That surely beats my title. I was going to go with The Selected Poems of Julio de Luna for my next collection.

--Eli

 
At 9/07/2011 7:19 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I think I still might go with "When Cheesequake Was a Mooncrater and You Were the Main Drag."

There's cheese and nostalgia. Two great tastes that go great together.

Just sayin.


JG

 
At 9/07/2011 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, the idea of a book of poems with the speaker being a street is pretty cool. Alice Oswald did it with a river (although I'm not sure the river, as such, is speaking; perhaps it's only reflecting back language/sound it "hears").

--Eli

 
At 9/07/2011 9:00 AM, Blogger Delia Psyche said...

That's a good idea. A river that speaks stream-of-consciousness poetry?

In the indigent state where I live, many streets are pothole-pocked. One of them could be personified as Anne Brad Street, who had "cratered skin"--in Berryman's imagination, at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home