Friday, September 15, 2006

Brenda Hillman & Robert Hass


We hosted Robert Hass and Brenda Hillman last night. It was about as good as readings get. I'm continually amazed by how friendly and compassionate some readings (and some poets) can be.

This picture is from the Q & A. It's refreshing to hear Hillman and Hass, especially as a duo, speaking to issues of aesthetics, politics, and the life of the writer. They bring a larger context to issues such as the more often reductive, scare-quote, "poetry wars" skirmishes that are floating around these days.

And, oh yes, the poetry was wonderful.

1 Comments:

At 9/15/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Matthew Thorburn said...

Man, I wish I'd been there! Hass read at U of Mich and visited our class when I was an undergrad and he's been my all-around favorite ever since. I heard him read here at the 92nd St Y last year too. Brenda Hillman I haven't heard read, but I'd like to.

Did Hass say anything about when he'll finally publish his next book? Seems like he's overdue to have one out, even by his Larkinesque/Bishop-eque publishing schedule!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home