Saturday, October 14, 2006

Louise Belcourt - Cedar #17

Louise Belcourt, Cedar #17
Louise Belcourt: "My battle has always been between landscape and abstraction."

Louise Belcourt's work always flares my imagination. She's called a "Subjective Abstractionist" by BorderCrossings. I think of a lot of her work as something more like "Abstract Realism," myself. But what's in a name?

The main thing is I love the solidity of her objects, the extrapolated color. The above paining is going to be on the cover of my book. I'm so pleased by the association I can barely contain myself.

4 Comments:

At 10/14/2006 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's visually striking in a way
that is not cliche, hard to pull off in contemporary painting.
It will make a compelling and slightly disturbing cover I mean that in a good way obviously).

 
At 10/14/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I agree with you both. Martha Rhodes found it, and I was instantly captivated.

And you're right, DDL, she is working at an edge that a lot of artists would either reductively embrace, or ironically detach, and she does neither.

I think it's a good visual representation of what so many poets I admire work with.

 
At 10/14/2006 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It definately goes with your work. The solidarity, yes, but the slightly askew, off kilter, what is happening at the edges of this landscape, oddly detached at times, but no, not in an ironic way--

 
At 11/16/2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the comments. I look forward to reading your book soon
Louise Belcourt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home