Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cracker - Euro-trash Girl!




Cracker, “Euro-trash Girl”

Cracker has been one of my favorite bands for some time, well, ever since Camper Van Beethoven, really, which was David Lowery’s previous (and sometimes since) band.

The combination, in Cracker, of straight on rock and roll, mixed with equal heavy doses of irony and sympathy, is often nearly perfect. I’ve always wondered why they never got as popular with others as they have with me.

Anyway, the full version (this video is the radio edit) of “Euro-trash Girl” is on the wonderful Kerosene Hat, as well as a second version, also very good, on their redone greatest hits, called Greatest Hits Redux. The story behind that is their record company dropped them, and then put together a greatest hits, so Cracker, on their new, smaller label, re-recorded a set of greatest hits and put that out to compete. Te re-recorded one is better. And it’s a nice finger to Virgin Records.

Cracker has a song about the whole thing, called “Ain’t Gonna Suck Itself.” Enough said.

If you’re interested in checking them out, I suggest these albums:

Kerosene Hat (the one with “Low,” their biggest hit)

Cracker (their first one, and the one where their country-rock vibe was strongest)

Greenland (their newest one, and something of a come back)

Greatest Hits Redux (a good mix of redone songs from everything but Greenland)

5 Comments:

At 6/21/2007 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me proud to be Eurotrash!

 
At 6/21/2007 11:22 AM, Blogger Andrew Shields said...

Just get high while the radio's on ...

 
At 6/22/2007 3:10 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

"Euro-Trash Girl" is my favorite Cracker song. I still know all the lyrics. *lol*

 
At 6/22/2007 5:14 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Louise: I've always meant to ask you about your accent.

Suzanne: Did I ever send you those CDs I promised? I don't think I did. Apologies.

 
At 6/22/2007 6:19 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

What you need to apologize for is getting this song stuck in my head. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home