Friday, May 30, 2008

Update: Day One of All the Next Days & Alan Turing

A Musical Odyssey


I now have 100,500 songs on an external hard-drive. I’ve gone on a journey into them. It’s kind of amazing as a musical biography of the American 20th century.

The oldest songs are from 1900, and the most recent, well, are right now.

I’m finding the 78s to be the most interesting of all.

I mean, seriously, 100, 500 songs (with, perhaps, some overlap…).

Name something. I’m sure I have it. Now, if I can find it, that’s a different question.

Is it really possible that I can have 800 or so songs by The Grateful Dead? Yikes.


Reading Material:

Hotel Amerika is back! It’s now based out of Columbia College:

http://www.hotelamerika.net/



Video Booth:


Derek Jacobi as Alan Turing - Breaking the Code, on beauty:


4 Comments:

At 5/31/2008 1:08 PM, Blogger Andrew Shields said...

I have 21,000 plus tracks on my external drive. 2,783 of them are tracks by the Dead ...

 
At 5/31/2008 5:53 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

2,783!

Here are my new top ten, after I cleaned off redundant versions:

Jimi Hendrix - 989
The Grateful Dead - 901
Bob Dylan - 693
The Beatles - 630
Elvis - 629
Duke Ellington - 516
The Rolling Stones - 516
Neil Young (& Crazy Horse) - 469
Van Morrison - 447
Willie Nelson - 428

Van Morrison! I don't even LIKE Van Morrison!

But this doesn't take into consideration my box of, um, recordings upstairs of Neil Young and CSNY...

 
At 6/02/2008 12:57 AM, Blogger Oliver de la Paz said...

Your collections sound like my collections. I'm still uploading my CD's to digital and I've only gone through three crates--yes, crates.

I probably have more hip-hop than you.

Speaking of CSNY, have you heard of The Fleet Foxes? They're a Seattle band and their new album "drops" on Tuesday. Their harmonies are very reminiscent of CSNY.

 
At 6/02/2008 7:18 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Oliver,

I am tempted to say life is not long enough to listen to that much music, but life is pretty long, and with a lot of down-time.

Thankfully.

And now somethign new to check out . . . !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home