Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Soundtrack & Bookshelf

A few things that have my attention this week

Soundtrack

These new albums have been playing a lot so far this spring:

Bill Callahan – Rough Travel for a Rare Thing (I’m new to his work, only slightly knowing about his former incarnation as Smog, and I’m glad I finally started really investigating his work)

Clem Snide – The Meat of Life

Broken Bells – Broken Bells (This one came out of nowhere, and I love it)

Eels – End Times

And a few upcoming albums that I’m waiting for:

The National – High Violet (This might possibly be my “album of the year” pick. What I’ve heard from it so far is simply wonderful. See video below)

Dr. Dog – Shame, Shame (I loved We All Belong, but only liked Fate)

MGMT – Congratulations (I’m really not a huge fan, but I like having them around now and then)



Bookshelf (more on these next week)

Joshua Marie Wilkinson, Selenography (with polaroids by Tim Rutili of the band Califone)

Molly Brodak, A Little Middle of the Night

Christopher Salerno, Minumum Heroic

Ryan Murphy, The Redcoats

Anthology:

Zucker & Greenberg, Eds., Starting Today: 100 Poems for Obama’s First 100 Days (If you’re going to AWP there’s going to be a huge reading that Saturday with 25 or so of the poets present)

Journals:

Court Green (with a nice dossier on the 70s)

Octopus 13 - http://www.octopusmagazine.com/

Here’s one of Bin Ramke’s poems from Octopus 13


Living in Weather


It is an economy unfolding
of leaf of leaves into trees leaving of winter
and agonies of spring; fold and unfold

reading and reading leaves leaves
the mind implicated in its body, world:
it thinks, wild the epigraphy:

they shall beat their coins into cookware

pennies flattened serve roof repair

otherwise wilderness catches calligraphy

snares a bitter mind among mountains.
The loud clouds come falling
from air from the mountains.

Falling air and fair weathers
wash us of our sins any season.
Here how it happens—a measure:

the beetle imago crawling two
dots on its back shiny as dew
under the murderous eye of sun
I of sunlight sizzling the morning as

as and we wait again a health. For health.

4 Comments:

At 3/26/2010 9:31 AM, Blogger Susan Denning said...

Hi,
I love the new Octopus. There's some great work by Julie Carr up there too. and have also been reading A LITTLE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT..
I love the National but I have to confess lately when I'm home I've been listening to my new Pandora.com channel - Gordon Lightfoot! It's embarassing but provides rich opportunities for nostalgia.. It's been a long time since I've listened to Jim Croce and America, not to mention Lightfoot..

 
At 3/26/2010 9:32 AM, Blogger Susan Denning said...

Oh but forgot to mention, BROKEN BELLS is great.. I listen to that in my car all the time.

 
At 3/26/2010 9:49 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

"Sometimes I think it's a sin when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again."

I grew up on 70s acoustic rock. Gordon Lightfoot was a staple, as was America.

And Octopus, yeah, it's a journal all its own. Someday, when they write about poetry in the early 2000s, Octopus is going to have a place, in much the way that we talk about Caterpillar, and Berrigan's "C", etc.

Sounds like we have a lot of overlap!

 
At 3/29/2010 11:44 AM, Blogger Joni Roscoe said...

there's always something about the friday night that makes you want to sweat off that pressure you have at work..id go party or stay at home and watch movies online..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home