Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sparklehorse - Comfort Me



Sparklehorse, “Comfort Me”

Raise a toast for YouTube, which is something we all can agree on. So anyway, it’s summer, and, as what seems to happen every summer, I pick up my guitar and play, as they say. I’m certain one of these days, someone fancy is going to drive down my street and discover me.

I’ve had this fantasy a long time. We’re old friends.

And since I’m playing my own songs (if you’re interested, you can go to http://renos.rusties.net/ and download a CD worth: long live The Renos, just right click and “save as.”), I’m also trying to work up (or just mess around along with) the songs of others. Songs I’ve loved.

So today I’m thinking about Sparklehorse. They (well, he) have (has) a new one out that I haven’t heard yet, but I have the others and I like them very much. Sparklehorse, like a lot of bands I like follow in some ways the Neil Young model: mellow, friendly songs, and in your face loud songs. Sparklehorse also boasts some of the most interesting lyrics out there. Really lovely and weird and just, well far out: “I dreamed I had a daughter magnificent as a horse.”

Tomorrow, I’m heading camping for a few days, gotta get those calluses ready.

3 Comments:

At 6/23/2007 7:22 AM, Blogger Busstogate said...

Linkous is a beautifully fractured genius. Vivadixie etc. is a masterpiece.

 
At 6/23/2007 8:47 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Agreed, but all three, vivadixiesubmarietransmissionplot, Good Morning Spider, and It's a Wonderful Life, are so close that it would be hard for me to pick one. Pretty much these days I just have all three on random play.

Is the new one good?

 
At 6/23/2007 8:40 PM, Blogger Busstogate said...

I've not picked it up yet. I only have Vivadixe and Wonderful Life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home