Monday, April 14, 2008

Dr. Dog - We All Belong

Somewhere between The Beatles and The Flaming Lips, with stops along the way including America, The Band, Mott the Hoople, and others, Dr. Dog is quietly amassing an impressive catalogue.

I discovered them only recently in Paste magazine, but I’m making up for lost time.

Here’s a wonderfully catchy video for “My Old Ways” from their newest album, We All Belong, which I highly recommend:



Sure, you say, but what do they do live?

Here they are on Letterman, doing the same song:



For a quick primer, if you don’t already know them, here are some mp3s from the band’s website:

ABCs from Toothbrush [MP3 4.28MB]
Adeline from Toothbrush [MP3 3.04MB]
Easy Beat from Easy Beat [MP3 4.51MB]
Say Something from Easy Beat [MP3 5.16MB]
Wake Up From Easy Beat [MP3 4.28MB]
California from Takers and Leavers [MP3 2.88MB]
Ain't It Strange from Takers and Leavers/We All Belong [MP3 4.10MB]
Worst Trip from We All Belong [MP3 2.75MB]

A new album is coming out in July. Can I get a witness?

Addendum: http://www.weallbelong.net/

5 Comments:

At 4/14/2008 7:51 PM, Blogger Brent Goodman said...

thank you for this gem John!

 
At 4/15/2008 5:35 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

My pleasure, Brent! Aren't they just wonderful?

(And part Beach Boys, part Mercury Rev, and in that, quite original)

 
At 4/16/2008 3:59 PM, Blogger cate said...

This post was so nice. Hope more people will go out and see them Live... (that is when they are at their best...great guys and so much fun!! ) They always include their audience in their shows. Their performances on TV were exciting, yet, harrowing to a band that loves their audience up close and personal.The Dr. Dog fans are the best!! Thanks...
the families of Dr. Dog

 
At 4/17/2008 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watched the clips, really liked the sound. I especially liked the live set. I think I'll have to come back and check out those MP3s.

 
At 4/18/2008 4:09 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Cate, and Kristen,

Seriously, you should see me around. I feel like a pusher the way I've been telling people about this band.

I haven't been this jittery since Cracker's first album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home