Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Do You Realize??




Is it the second question mark that does it? Or is it all the smiling and crying? Or is it that there's a sleepy beauty to your face that I find so beautiful I just don't know what to do? (Or is it the tone created by the direct address?)

There's something about this song, and this video, that just seems perfect. The Flaming Lips had me a long time ago though, when, nearly 20 years ago, I first heard "Five Stop Mother Superior Rain," with the lyric: "I was born on the day they shot a hole in the Jesus egg." How could you not love a band that comes up with lyrics like that?

Here's a poem to go along with it, one of my favorites:

ZACHARY SCHOMBURG

SCARY, NO SCARY


One night,
when you return to your childhood
home after

a lifetime away,
you'll find it
abandoned. Its

paint will be
completely weathered.

It will have
a significant westward lean.

There will be
a hole in its roof
that bats fly
out of.

The old man
hunched over
at the front door
will be prepared
to give you a tour,
but first he'll ask
Scary, or no scary?

You should say
No scary.

2 Comments:

At 5/23/2007 5:40 PM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

they had me at pink robots,

maybe the jelly

 
At 5/23/2007 6:14 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Yeah, the jelly. Ah, the vasoline and peanut butter. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home