Monday, June 09, 2008

Road Books (Poetry)



So anyway, I’m going to Indiana, Pennsylvania, for a month, and I don’t have much space to bring books with me. I know I’m going to take my Complete Stevens, and I just bought the newest books from Dean Young and Jorie Graham

(Side note: I used to, back in the early 90s, go crazy for Graham’s work, but I’m finding myself arguing with her work as time has dragged us along – I just read the first poem in Sea Change, and I’m already having a discussion with myself about whether to continue . . . I decided to continue.),

but what other books to take along?

Suggestions please.

I think what I’ll want to do is bring a dozen books, tops, and I’d like them to be books I’ve read that I’d like to read again. Things like Sarah Manguso’s Captain Lands in Paradise. And I’d like to give another go-through with Mary Jo Bang’s Louise in Love.

What else should I smuggle?

I’ll read yours if you send it to me real quick!

4 Comments:

At 6/09/2008 6:03 PM, Blogger Talia Reed said...

I just finished Louise in Love! I gave it 5 stars.

 
At 6/09/2008 6:07 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Isn't it wonderful? I'm looking forward to going back to it.

 
At 6/11/2008 8:00 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

I like collecteds and new and selecteds with limited space. Which Ashbery(s) are you taking?

 
At 6/11/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

I just finished the new selected, so I'm pretty fresh with all that.

Maybe I'll take the first selected. His selections are pretty generous. Yeah. I think I'll do that.

I think I'll take Jorie Graham's selected as well. I'm finding myself so crabby with the new work (a long and complicated argument that her newer poems end up sometimes winning with me)it might be nice to go back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home