Thursday, May 24, 2007

Poetry Books of 2007 & Bob Dylan is 66


First off: May 24, 1941 . . . Happy birthday Bob Dylan . . .
Poetry Books of 2007
I've started making a list of the books of 2007 that I've purchased. It's already turning out to be a big year for new poetry purchases (this isn't counting the many books I've missed in years past that I'm just now buying).


John Ashbery, Worldly Country
Donald Revell, Theif of Strings
Zachary Schomburg, The Man Suit
Paige Ackerson-Kiely, In No One's Land
Jaswinder Bolina, Carrier Wave
Rae Armantrout, Next Life
Reginald Shepherd, Fata Morgana
Charles Wright, Littlefoot
Joshua Kryah, Glean
Hadara Bar-Nadav, A Glass of Milk to Kiss Goodnight
Matthew Cooperman (2006), DAZE
Cole Swensen, The Glass Age
Nancy Kuhl, The Wife of the Left Hand
Albert Goldbarth, The Kitchen Sink
Michael Dumanis, My Soviet Union
John Koethe, Sally's Hair
Rebecca Aronson, Creature, Creature
Steve Fellner, Blind Date with Cavafy
Matthew Rohrer, Rise Up
C. Dale Young, The Second Person
Forrest Hamer, Rift
Ellen Dudley, The Geographic Cure
Terri Ford, Hams Beneath the Firmament
Sam Witt, Sunflower Brother
Rebecca Aronson, Creature, Creature
Mary Biddinger, Prairie Fever
Laure-Anne Bosselaar, A New Hunger
Suzanne Cleary, Trick Pear
Jeannine Hall Gailey, Becoming the Villainess
Linda Gregerson, Magnetic North
Henrietta Goodman, Take What You Want

And I’ve also purchased many copies of my own book, of course, so I'll add it to the list:
John Gallaher, The Little Book of Guesses

Currently I'm going through Revell's Theif of Strings for the first time, and enjoying it quite a bit. My imagination is still reeling from Ashbery's Worldly Country, though, so I might have to go back and re-read it soon.

In other news, there are several close friends of mine (who are also exceptional poets) on this list, so I’m very glad I don’t have to give out any awards this year. Whew, dodged that bullet. But I do want to mention three books that made a very strong impression on me, by poets I’d not known before:

Jaswinder Bolina, Carrier Wave
Paige Ackerson-Kiely, In No One's Land
Zachary Schomburg, The Man Suit

2 Comments:

At 5/24/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Andrew Shields said...

Brodsky's birthday, too. He would have been 67.

 
At 5/24/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger John Gallaher said...

Brodsky, I haven't thought of him in awhile. I'll put it on my weekend list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home